Many of you knows that when I was celebrating my 10th birthday in 1989 with my brother and sisters, my mother died. That was the first time that I learned to suppress my emotion and pretended that I was strong. I did not show to everyone that I cried because as young as 10 years old, I had this idea that weak people always cry. I don’t want to be weak for my brother and sister’s sake but what I thought as strength became a great wall of China (hahahaha) that disabled people to come and mentor me. The truth is, I’ve seen too much in 10 years of just being a child. What was built on the inside of me was having a VICTIM MENTALITY. That rich people looks down to the poor and have the authority to make them as slave. That money talks. That if you are poor, even if you are intelligent, you will remain voiceless. That parents relationship has an impact in a child’s life. That words has power to birth life or to order death. That environment has an impact for our growth. That poverty is not a hindrance to success. That all those negative observations I mentioned above can be passed THROUGH IF WE HAVE A POSITIVE MINDSET AND A PERSEVERING SPIRIT.
Let me introduce to you my 6 Mentors For my Initial Success:
1) So let’s start with my GRANDFATHER. He always told me that I should finish my study because poverty is not a hindrance to success. That if I will PERSEVERE, I will be SUCCESSFUL. That I should not give up too soon. So he encouraged my aunt to send me to school after I wrote her a letter that I wanted to be her working student and I will do everything I can just so I can finish my study. My aunt was convinced and before I was sent to Cebu, my GRANDFATHER told me to write him a letter if they will maltreat me just because I don’t have a mother and he will come and visit me. That was enough to make me feel so courageous and so secure. Two years later, I felt that there was favoritism and I was badly treated so I wrote my GRANDFATHER a letter and true to his word, he surprisingly arrive the next day with his white hat, stripes polo shirt and went straight to my aunts room. There were no words except a tight hug and a gentle voice that says, POVERTY IS NOT THE HINDRANCE TO SUCCESS. That was the first visible example of INTEGRITY for me. My GRANDFATHER was true to his promise and afterwards I was tagged as GRANDPA’S FAVORITE. In fact I am convince that the main reason why I am a GOOD COUNSELOR for people is because I saw that firsthand from my GRANDFATHER. He did not finish Elementary but people flocked to him for counsel and he was very good. With his counsel, I finished COLLEGE but so sad at the same time because he died to cancer that same year as well. It was my FIRST SHOW OF RIVERS OF TEARS. It was my FIRST shout of grief hoping he will come back to life so I could have shared with him my diploma. It was my first battle of depression and too much sadness. It was my year of feeling I have achieved something but too useless to even celebrate. But because of him, I braved the city and win through college with an inner guts that God must have put in even when I was in my mother’s womb.
2) A TINY BOOK. In my grandparents house were books of my aunt that I frequented into and there was one book that I can’t remember the title but I can still picture the images in my mind. In that book was a story of very poor man who believed that POVERTY WAS NOT THE HINDRANCE TO SUCCESS and became very successful at life. My visualization became very active and it made me realized that I am not the ONLY POOR GIRL in the world. That boosted a courage within me to sail Cebu City and conquer the unknown.
3) WORD OF GOD. In my aunts house in Cebu City was a beautiful family who rented a room and conducted Bible Study every Tuesday. I was invited and being so hungry of a God my parents always mentioned when I was a child, I joined. In that Bible Study, Tita Mayette opened the Bible to James 1:12 and it says, “Blessed is the man who PERSEVERE UNDER TRIAL because when he stood the test, he will receive the crown of life which is God’s promise to those who loves Him.” That’s My ONLY verse that waved me THROUGH COLLEGE. When it was too hard having to work and being a student at the same time, I meditated that verse and keep going to school regardless of how I was being treated. At school, I always had points because of my guts but my answer was always out of the point (hahaha). That’s my philosophy teacher (Dr. Tingcong) told me but she loved my being brave so much.
4) MAGAZINE/LUCY TORRES. I first knew about her during a Life In The Spirit Seminar when a lay minister mentioned her name and told us that her first pay for her lux commercial was given to the church. It was my first realization that not all people who are born with a SILVER PLATTER in their mouth are mean. I searched all about her and then in one of her magazines I read that BEAUTY RADIATES FROM THE INSIDE OUT. That physical beauty regardless of how much make up you put on, if you are bitter, it’s not beautiful after all. Then it came to my senses at how bitter I was at life, at people and in myself. All of a sudden, it became so real to me that it’s not the people who has problems nor my circumstances but it’s me. I needed help. I don’t know how.
5) TELEVISION/JOEL OSTEEN. Having known that I have so much inner turmoil and bitterness that needs healing, I went to my cousin’s room crying until I unearthed my bitterness and there I saw that I was bitter at my father. That was after I kept changing channels and was stucked when a very laid back preacher, Pastor Joel Osteen talked about PEACE. I was so surprised that he did not shout but his message went deep inside my heart. In that room I cried and prayed and hoped that I would see my father again and God being God heard my prayers. Few months later, I saw him in our rented small room lying on the floor resting. I was not prepared for it. I wanted to fulfill my promise made against him when I was a child that if I will see him again, I will kill him. But I knew Jesus. In that pivotal moment, I was reminded of Pastor Joel’s message that to stay bitter will never lead to a peaceful life. I wanted inner peace so much that I can’t stay bitter all my life. Then I heard the gentle voice of the Lord that says, “I LOVE YOUR FATHER AS MUCH AS I LOVE YOU.”It took so many years to accept that but I thank God for His steadfast love that never pushed me away from Him.
6) YOUTUBERS. There’s a lot but let me you give a few. a) Marilyn Hickey for teaching me to LIVE THE WORD & UNLOCK THE MIRACULOUS b) Sarah Bowling for teaching me to work with the Holy Spirit c) Victoria Osteen for teaching me to enjoy today and trust that God will have enough grace sufficient for me tomorrow d) Terri Savelle Foy for teaching me to dig in my heels e) Jerry Savelle for teaching me to NEVER NEVER NEVER QUIT f) Gloria Copeland for teaching me to stand on the Word of God and believe for healing g) Rachel Cruze for teaching me the value of contentment and savings h) Dodie Osteen for teaching me faith and trust in Jesus Christ and His Word
So those were my mentors for my initial success. I said initial because I just started to bloom in life and because outside success is nothing without the work of JESUS CHRIST. He is the ULTIMATE MENTOR & LIFE STANDARD. He has all the qualities worth to be emulated but He has so many ways to lead us to our destiny. I am thankful that JESUS isn’t hungry of accolades that He uses various people to capture my attention so I will believe it in my heart that He truly loves me having His blood shed as evidence. I am thankful for His never ending interccession for me to the Father and grateful for giving me such support up until today by giving me wonderful people to continue to believe in me. I know that we have an individual relationship with Jesus and it will be not too much when I will proudly say, “I AM THE OBJECT OF HIS AFFECTION.” He is my mentor for a SUCCESS THAT WILL HAVE AN ETERNAL IMPACT. He is my mentor who lives forever.
May you all will say the same. May you have that special bond with Him. May you say thank you for His sacrifice for you by giving up Heaven and live with us here on earth. May you praise Him for going through hell for you so you will be with Him in Heaven. May you give Him thanks for dying for you so you will live.
“BECAUSE JESUS LIVES, YOU TOO WILL LIVE.”
Fulfill your dreams.
Never Give Up.
Never Lose Hope.
And remember, that HE WHO PROMISED IS FAITHFUL TO FULFILL IT.
Have a lovely day💕