I remember standing in the background of our Elementary Campus in between the bermuda grass listening to the silent whisper of my heart. I was thinking of becoming a journalist and I never knew where I got it knowing that we don’t have television to watch. I probably must have gotten it through reading a book. I thought of having my own book published so the next generation specially my children will never go through the mistakes and hardships I have made. I can still recall the yellow pad so filled with my groanings and moanings because I can’t express my heart when I have to say it but oh how I could see my internal wishes when I started to write it down. In that yellow pad, I have written down my frustrations, my hopes, my fears, my anger, my bitterness, and my secret prayers with so much hope that I could become that girl. It’s just a matter of time. I can still look back with pride over how much I was the school’s pride as I always won for poetry and essay contests here and there and everywhere.
Then I was thinking of becoming a lawyer and be the voice of the poor and the oppressed. I can’t always express my thoughts but oh how I love debate so much. I was that girl in the dreamland with so much hope and determination to make it big in life.
Then I have to go to college and I was told to study education. While I don’t belittle the impact that teachers has for my life, I just felt that the dream slowly died and I was beginning to see the impact of poverty. But as I was thinking about it, it was in that department that I was introduced to Christ, the one who died and resurrected and He is still the one who have resurrected my dreams back to life.
So here are my practical tips so you can LIVE OUT YOUR CALLING:
1) SEE WHAT YOU ARE VERY GOOD NATURALLY AT DOING & FAN IT TO FLAME. If that’s cooking then don’t wait for a cooking show to cook, start now in your kitchen. If that’s singing then sing everyday even if you can’t record yourself to be uploaded at You Tube, just sing. If that’s teaching, then probably start sharing your knowledge to your brothers and sisters at home or maybe to your neighbors. If that’s writing, then start a blog and just write. Don’t wait to have a perfect grammar to start. Your greatness isn’t when you have become famous, it is when you have the courage to start. If that’s giving then enjoy your business or excel in your job. If that’s Homemaking then start in your home and make it your best work of art.
2) REJOICE IN YOUR STRENGTHS AND SHARPEN IT. I know that the easiest thing to pick up from ourselves is to point out our weaknesses and begin to see how terrible we really are. We all have weaknesses but start looking at your strengths. I know that if I’ll visit my brother’s house and if I am not careful, I will feel terrible in comparison to my sister in law’s gift for home making. She excelled at it. It comes naturally at her. She can turn a haunted house into tourist spot. As for me, if I entered a room or a house, I will remodel it and turn it into a library. That’s for sure. So instead of feeling disgusted with myself, I rejoice in someone else’s strengths as I applaud mine. Thankfully today we have so many tutorials from You Tube to sharpen and enhance our strengths.
3) SURROUND YOURSELF WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE. The best way to fan the flame of your gift is to be with people who has the passion to excel at where they are good at. Be with them. Watch them. Observe how they are doing things and start making your own. That’s what I do. I watch people in You Tube who are doing similarly with my interests and pursuits so I could have enough inspiration to pursue mine. I read inspiring blogs that will feed me into becoming who I am suppose to be.
4) BE YOU & DO YOU. There are so many voices suggesting you to become this and that. You better be a teacher because the retirement is quite high. Or you should work in the call center since you are very good in English and the pay is really good. Or you should make your home this way. So on and so forth. I realize that people started to lead us anywhere because they haven’t seen us going somewhere. But thank them anyway and start doing you and being you. You are unique. Your gifts are tailored to fit you. Explore the possibilities and start living. Remember, it is when you really do what you are called to do that you really really live.
5) ENJOY THE PRESENT. Don’t wait for 20 years to enjoy life. Even if you are just starting right now and it looks like you don’t matter in this big world, ENJOY because you really did matter. And ENJOY NOW. Enjoy doing the very reason of your existence. It’s never about how much money you have saved although we are called to be a good steward and that’s another story. It’s never about the fame and popularity. It’s about enjoying life because you have really live.
And it all begins by threading the waters, paving the way, and living the very life you are called out to be. Stop becoming like everyone else because when you do, the world will miss a a unique contribution that’s in you.
Live out your calling friends because there’s a reason why you behave that way. Make the most of the best gift you have receive from God.
Because beside where I sleep are partial books to be covered and to be read and re-read. Our house will one day be a library in the mountaintop.